David Pool – President
David was elected to the SCYR Board in August, 2016, as Treasurer and then as President in July, 2017. David played rugby for 45+ years, mostly in New Zealand, has been the San Diego Mustangs President for the last 5 years, and is the Director of Rugby for Torrey Pines. He also previously sat on SCYR’s Member Council, on both the U8-U12 and Boys High School Competition Sub-Committees.
In his non-rugby life, David is the Chief Financial Officer for a private biotechnology firm and is also a qualified accountant.
Marni Vath – Treasurer
Marni was elected to the Board as Treasurer in August, 2017. She is a retired rugby player, former collegiate coach, current referee, and rugby parent of two youth players. Marni has served in various Southern California rugby administration positions since 2005, including as former President of SCRFU. She is currently a USA Rugby Congress representative for the Southern California collegiate region. By profession, Marni is an accountant in a high net-worth family office.
Jay Rogers – Orange County Regional Representative / VP of Competition
Jay Rogers holds a BS from Northeastern University and is also a graduate of the USMC Officer Candidate School in Quantico, VA. Jay is an investment management professional and entrepreneur with over two decades in the financial services industry. Jay is also a frequent speaker at industry events on family office and alternative issues. Currently residing in Ladera Ranch with his wife and three sons, he is active in his local community as President of the Board of Directors for Ladera Ranch Community Services (LARCS), a community services organization. Jay is also a Rugby Coach and board member for the South OC Raptors Rugby Club and sits on the board of directors of SCYR.
Kathryn Humphrey – Los Angeles Regional Representative
Kathryn was elected to the SCYR Board as the Los Angeles Regional Representative in April 2019. She is the President of the Rising Eagles Youth Rugby Club, which serves children aged 6-13 in the San Fernando Valley. She has been involved with the club as a parent and board member since 2011, and is a level 100 coach, touch judge and soon to be level 1 referee. Outside rugby, Kathryn is the founder and President of K-Rise Enterprises that specializes in strategic planning, disaster preparedness, emergency management and disaster recovery. Kathryn has an Aerospace Engineering degree from the University of Michigan.
Steve Marshall – San Diego Regional Representative / Secretary
Robert Vincent – Tri-County Regional Representative
SCYR Governance Change
In 2018, the SCYR Board and staff worked to create a governance structure that is effective in creating a more transparent and seamless interaction between the organization and the membership. This new structure was voted on by members and accepted December 2018.
The composition of the new Board is:
- 4 regional representatives (1 each from Tri-Counties, Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego), who will be voted on by the clubs in their respective regions.
- The Secretary & VP of Competition will be fulfilled by regional representatives.
- 1 President (voted on by all clubs in the region)
- 1 Treasurer (voted on by all clubs in the region)
- 1 Director of Discipline (voted on by all clubs in the region)
The updated structure creates a model that directly links the membership (clubs, HS programs, players and parents) with SCYR Board members. Elected Board members will be representatives for their region’; thus promoting greater transparency within the organization and a direct point of contact within SCYR communication.
Furthermore, the Board and CEO has the responsibility to set the overall strategic plans. The restructure provides the flexibility for strategic plans to be laser focused on the needs of the four regions and across the levels of the SCYR competition structure. Nominated Committee members will work towards a clearer strategic plan and require a shorter time commitment for any committee member.
2. Voting will be done by each club (Youth and HS), based on a weighting-criteria that is factored on the combined number of players they registered in the most previously completed High School and regular club season (u8 – u18, coed, boys and girls).
1. 10 to 74 players registered – 1 vote
2. 75 to 149 players registered – 2 votes
3. 150 to 224 players registered – 3 votes
4. 225 or more players registered – 4 votes
3.) All Member councils will be replaced by a standing discipline committee, headed by the Director of Discipline and four discipline committee members. Each of the regional representatives will nominate someone from their area, and the remaining six board members and the CEO will vote to approve the nomination. If a nominee does not get at least 4 votes of approval (out of seven) the regional representative will need to nominate another individual from his/her area and repeat the process until a nominee gets at least 4 votes of approval.
4.) All other committees will be instituted on an as-needed basis, determined by the board and/or the CEO. To institute a committee, a board member or the CEO needs to identify the purpose and general structure of the committee and whatever initial resources will be allocated to the committee. Four of the seven remaining board members or CEO need to approve that committee for it to be instituted.
In summary the Governance proposal will achieve the following:
- Create a more transparent connection between SCYR customers (clubs, players and parents) and the organization’s elected decision makers.
- Simplify the structure so decision-making and accountability are clearer and the administrative burden is reduced.
- Allow the CEO and Board the ability to drill down and create regional strategies.
- Build in greater adaptability to respond to the dynamic changes occurring in youth rugby.